Did you know that March 26th was National Spinach Day? Here are some facts about spinach:
- California produces 74 percent of the fresh spinach grown in the United States.
- In the 1930′s U.S. spinach growers credited Popeye with a 33% increase in domestic spinach consumption.
- The spinach growing town of Crystal City, Texas, made a statue of Popeye in 1937.
- Spinach is a member of the goose-foot family, which makes it a relative to beets and chard
- Just half a cup of raw spinach counts as 1 of the 5 servings of fruits and vegetables you should eat a day.